A three-month-old baby is still a ‘blank sheet’ and is completely vulnerable to his environment. He begins to have memory, to express himself intentionally, to develop skills and see the world for the first time. Our mission is to take care of him, but to do it as it is right we must understand what exactly it is to have three months of life:
– Regarding her eating habits , she continues to take breast milk or byproducts – the World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding until six months of age – but the number of intakes will have decreased.
– Regarding the time of sleep, the baby is consolidating their sleep-wake cycles , sleeping for longer periods and, fortunately, begins to sleep more at night. It is adapting to the normative sleep schedule, but it still has to dedicate many hours for its correct development: in total, more or less between 15 and 18 hours.
– Your body is widening and you can get about 200 grams per week. It also stretches and increases to 3 cm in height and 1-2 cm in cranial perimeter per month. Although, as we always say, it is completely orientative and will depend on the metabolism of your son or daughter.
– The eyes of the baby have developed and will begin to glimpse its true color (although we can not really know until six months). The baby’s vision will allow him to discover the world around him, that’s why observation is his new favorite activity. He looks at his hands, plays, follows objects and people in slow motion with his eyes, he keeps his eyes wide open, looking at the faces with great attention, focusing on his eyes and mouth (perhaps because it is the most direct and intrinsic focus of communication ). When he is lying down he keeps moving his legs and arms and observes them with attention. You may sometimes notice that you change your expression and differentiate people from your day to day with strangers. That’s because he already recognizes familiar objects and peoplefrom afar, he is able to perceive the smallest details, and can focus almost at any distance.
– Hearing and communication continue to improve and begin to emit their first laughs, sounds or babbles . But they are not absurd or made by chance: it is a process of imitation of the environment and tries to reproduce sounds that you have heard from you or from the environment. In addition, he begins to feel comforted by human and familiar voices and will begin to need them. You will be able to notice these changes when you see that he turns his head in the direction of the sounds or he listens fascinated to his own voice … And if you think about it, it is normal. Imagine not having ever heard your own voice and discover that you are capable of producing sounds with your throat, your vocal cords, your tongue and your mouth. Everything is first times!
– As for the motor development – physical and motor -, he is already able to hold his head without help , since the muscles of his neck have been strengthened. Mind you, he still can not keep sitting by himself because he still has no references to get the balance or points of support in his column, so he will require your help. This also happens because he still has a baby’s spine, bent in a “c” shape due to the fetal position that he keeps from being embedded in the uterus. If we leave him face down, he will be able to raise his head and some of his chest supporting himself with his arms (although his vision will continue to crouch).
You can start to hold things by yourself and have some control with your body : you can intentionally join and separate hands and legs, you will grasp objects with both hands, you can stretch your arms to reach something (even if you still miscalculate distances), you will push yourself with The legs supporting the feet when placed on a firm surface, will hold the hand to the mouth more and more consciously and will shake your body or some object when something excites or catches your attention.
– Begin your learning in terms of mental development and knowledge acquisition . You can already distinguish the colors and the size of the objects even if you do not establish logical comparisons, start to recognize familiar faces in photographs and know when you put an object in your hand (although curiously you will not know if it is part of your body or not). If you notice that he likes to touch your face or grab your hair , in reality what he is doing is analyzing the human face that transmits a lot of concern to him, and especially his mouth because it is the place where all those sounds that amaze him are emitted.
– After three months the social smile appears . Until now your baby had done so, it was an impulse of imitation or a simple muscular movement in relation to feelings of pleasure or relaxation. But from now on he will smile intentionally, either because he has discovered that he transmits and it is the way to express happiness, or because he notices that when he does, everyone responds with another smile and more attention. The same thing happens with crying and can cry because of sadness or fear of being alone. She also begins to understand that her body is used to communicate and her way of saying “hello” or “goodbye” is smiling and moving her body . In general, he communicates more expressively, with a superior range of gestures he has learned from you.
Therefore, once we know at what level of physical and mental development our baby is, we can begin to develop a plan to take care of him and help him in the best way possible:
– As the number of shots has decreased and they will become more regular, it is important that we follow a routine : we must continue to feed on demand but not too long without milk so that we do not go hungry and continue with adequate milk production. If your baby uses a bottle with prepared milk, it is recommended that you give it one every three or four hours so that it gives time for the baby to digest the milk, because it takes longer to digest than the mother’s milk.
– At bedtime, we have to start incorporating a night schedule , but without excess, and remember that they must sleep many more hours. To relax and get into the dream faster, we can sing lullabies (the voice is what calms them most), prepare a bath with warm water, massage, put relaxing music… But the most important thing for your health is to correct your posture while you sleep, since you must do it on your back to reduce the risk of sudden death. It is also preferable that you do not always sleep on the same side, as plagiocephaly, a deformity of the bones of the skull, may occur because they are not yet fully welded. Co-sleeping is advisable even at this age, since this way we are more attentive to when it requires our care.
– It is very curious, since many say that the way you carry your baby can help your body to develop properly . For example, when lifting it, you have to make your body work and strengthen: it allows your head to move from one side to the other and leaves your arms free, you should always face it. In addition, the best position to carry it is by placing it vertically, upside down and semi-sitting. But be careful! Do not let your spine arch too much and lose control of your head.
– To stimulate your vision, it is good to show different colors and new objects. Although something as simple as walking outside can be a real learning.
– To help you with your motor system , it is best to perform exercises that focus attention on your own body, so that you learn to manage it. You must repeat the actions constantly, and that you get the coordination of your movements. The important thing is that it strengthens the upper part of the trunk. We can also do “gymnastics” with him now that he can keep him incorporated for a while, moving his arms and bending his legs. Although always with caution because if we leave it alone on a surface we run the risk of it sliding or turning if it is not well supported on the back.
-To help with hearing and communication we can repeat the sounds that he produces as “garlic”, “gu-gu”, since he will interpret it as something he is capable of achieving and will begin to gain confidence.
– Although the most important thing for the stimulation of the baby will always be our love and the strengthening of our bond. Our voice, our contact, our look … are the safest and happiest references you have in the world. If we did not have a single toy, the baby would have enough with our games, discovery and our attention. So the best way to take good care of a three-month-old baby is not so complex: look at him and return to observe the world for the first time.